Tuesday, October 17, 2017

She Who Stirs the Pot


I don't know which is more fun, using a funny expression in your art, making seasonal home decor or making something out of a found or cheap item.  But in this project I get to do all of these.  I found this 6" Shadow Box at a tag sale for $1.  One of our favorite expressions is "He who stirs the pot should have to lick the spoon".  So what better way to incorporate that expression than with a witches pot? 

I cut out the Haunted House and Cat from Pewter Cardstock using the Close to My Heart Artbooking cartridge.  I cut the Cauldron and lettering from Happy Haunting which are Access files.  The cauldron had a handle and steam but I had to cut them away to make room for the lettering.  I cut the cauldron from black vinyl, the pot contents out of purple glitter vinyl and the lettering out of green glitter vinyl.

You want to consider the edge of your shadow box when sizing your elements for your project.  If the edge of the frame covers a 1/4" on all sides you don't want your images to go out to the edge of your background. 

In Design Space I put a square on the mat and sized it to 6" to represent the background.  Then I layered the text, House and pot to look good aesthetically.  If you have a different size shadow box my measurements would be useless.  So just play around with your sizing to fit your shadow box.  This could be done in a picture frame as well.

I cut the lettering out of green Cricut Glitter Vinyl.  It looked good while I was making it but it really doesn't show up well with the watercolored background.  In hindsight I would use black vinyl or just have a black background with a grey house.  But I really like the watercolored background. 

I cut a 2" circle from the Basic Circles Thin Cuts and Canary Cardstock.  I cut small scraps of Canary cardstock and glued them to the back of the haunted house to represent lit windows. 

To make the background I wet the whole 6" watercolor paper with water.  Then I brushed on yellow, orange, red, purple, blue and black from the bottom up, blending the colors and rinsing the brush between colors so I didn't taint my paint pallet.  I dried the background with a heat gun.  Then I took a gold Shimmer Brush and tapped it against my scissors to splatter the ink onto the background to represent stars.

I glued the moon, house and cat to the background using a Dual Action Glue pen.  I positioned the lettering, cauldron and cauldron contents onto the front of the shadow box.  I glued the background to a scrap piece of poster board for added durability and glued the background to the back of the shadow box with Liquid Glass.

I didn't put a hanger on this shadow box because I made it for my daughter to sit on her desk at work.  She is a middle child and likes to stir the pot. 

To view the video where I demonstrate how I made this please visit my YouTube channel at the link below:



To purchase the supplies, follow the links below:

CTMH Artbooking Cartridge
Pewter Cardstock
CTMH Tweezers
Non-Stick Micro-Tip Scissors
Watercolor Paper
Paintbrush Set
Watercolor Paints
Gold Shimmer Brush
Liquid Glass
Basic Circles Thin Cuts
Canary Cardstock
Dual Action Glue Pen

Cricut Vinyl may be purchased through the Cricut store

Thank you for coming to my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment