Friday, September 29, 2017

Word Bubble Cards



I just love watching YouTube and craft-lifting ideas from my hero's.  Last week I watched a YouTube video by Jennifer McGuire where she used a word bubble die set to create a card.  Since I'm totally in love with my Cricut I took her card design and tried to replicate her idea in Design Space using the Close To My Heart Flower Market cartridge.

I made a card panel from black cardstock 11" X 4 1/4".  Then I made a white card front using watercolor paper that was 5 1/2" X 4 1/4".  I inserted, from the Flower Market Collection, a monster, a pumpkin and a word bubble.  I sized the monster, pumpkin and word bubble to fit the page, changed the colors of the monster and pumpkin then duplicated the pumpkin and flipped it and resized one of the pumpkins to make it a bit smaller.

To make the word bubble cut out, I lined up the top panel and the back panel, aligning the bottoms and aligning them horizontally for a perfect fit.  Then I placed the word bubble on top where I wanted it.  I selected the word bubble and the top panel and sliced it.  Being very careful not to move anything else but the top panel, I moved it to the side.  I selected the word bubble again and the back panel and sliced the back panel.  I removed all of the leftover pieces from slicing the images. 

I attached a fold line horizontally to the center of the back panel.

I placed the score tool in the pen holder of the Cricut and cut out the pieces following the color guides in the cutting screen of Design Space.

Using watercolors I made a sunset effect by starting at the bottom of the white panel and brushing on yellow paint with my water barrel brush.  Next I brushed on orange watercolor above the yellow and blended the two together.  Cleaning off my brush between layers I added red above the orange.  Then I added blue above the red and blended to make purple and painted black above the blue.  While I had black loaded in my brush I brushed some black along the bottom of the page to make a ground for the pumpkins and monster.

I cut apart the flat part of a clear plastic egg carton to use in between my card layers to fill in the word bubble.  You could use transparency sheets or other clear plastic packaging.  I used tape runner to adhere the plastic to the front card panel and more adhesive to the back of the card front to adhere it to the front of the black card panel.  Be careful not to get adhesive on the transparent piece.

I glued the pumpkin pieces together as well as the monster pieces and added some googly eyes to the monster.  I affixed them to the front of the card panel at the bottom

On the inside of the card I used VersaMark ink to emboss my sentiment with Ranger White Super Fine embossing powder.

Then I cut out Boo for the pumpkin card and Hey for the monster card using the Block Alphabet Thin Cuts and my Cuttlebug die cutting machine.  I cut a set out of paper and one out of fun foam.  By gluing the paper to the fun foam it will add dimension to the letters for a fun look.

I glued each word inside of a word bubble using the Dual Action Glue Pen.

My card looks nothing like Jennifer McGuire's card but I thank her for the great idea adding the plastic inside the cut outs between two card panels.  It was a fun project and whimsical.  I will be using this technique again.

You can purchase supplies at my Close To My Heart website https://laurahenry.closetomyheart.com/
or follow the links below:

CTMH Flower Market Cricut Cartridge Bundle 
Watercolor Paper
Black Cardstock
Goldrush Cardstock
Pansy Cardstock
Thistle Cardstock
Tombow Permanent Adhesive
Watercolor Paints
Watercolorbrush - Medium Flat
Dual Action Glue Pen
3-D Foam Tape
Block Alphabet Thin Cuts
VersaMark embossing ink
Ranger White Embossing Powder

To watch my video on YouTube follow this link:

https://youtu.be/jQb3DdIpv0U

To watch Jennifer McGuire's video that inspired me follow this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17XccPDvV0&index=44&list=WL

No comments:

Post a Comment